07 Jun Summer Shakedown Recap
What happens when 10 local organizations work together to #fightthesummerslide… you have the BEST SUMMER EVER!
What is the summer slide?
The “Summer Slide” is the term for the tendency for children to lose the academic gains they made during the school year while out of school for summer break.
Summer Slide stats from MTS Kids:
“SIX WEEKS – The amount of time schools spend in the fall getting children back up to speed after summer break
Children who don’t read over the summer lose TWO to THREE MONTHS of reading development.
The amount of math skills a child loses during the summer vacation equals TWO and a HALF MONTHS of class time if they don’t work on it.”
Fighting the Summer Slide goes beyond just keeping up with academics during the summer. Kids need to be moving their bodies for optimal learning! Play supports learning. We offer ideas on our website and social media outlets for ways to keep your kids active in Spartanburg all summer long!
Keep reading to find out how these local organizations can help you Fight the Summer Slide through movement, play, music, art, STEM, literacy, health, and more!
“A real education has to give equal weight to arts, humanities, and physical education” Sir Ken Robinson-
“It turns out that moving our muscles produces proteins that travel through the bloodstream and into the brain, where they play pivotal roles in the mechanisms of our highest thought processes.”
― John J. Ratey, Spark: The Revolutionary New Science of Exercise and the Brain
- Local Activities: Stay in the know with current programs offered for kids in Spartanburg! Check out our lists of Local Parks and Local Trails to get your family out and about in Spartanburg!
- Community Involvement: Check out our calendar and monthly events list to know what is going on in the community and how to stay involved!
- Health: Keep your kids moving, exercising and eating healthy. Movement encourages both hemispheres of the brain to work together to become more integrated. We offer movement ideas and healthy snack ideas for kids to keep their body and mind healthy!
- Creativity: Stay connected with the arts and creative outlet opportunities for kids in Spartanburg.
- Join us the 3rd Saturday of each month at the Hub City Farmers Market to let your kids move their muscles, explore healthy foods, and use their creativity at the Hub City Kids tent!
At McCulloh Therapeutic Solutions we provide individualized Speech Therapy or your child and give them a Voice that Lasts Forever!
Our services include:
- Speech and Language Development
- Motor Skills
- Sensory Development
With our individualized whole-child approach, we meet your child wherever they are in their developmental process and help them reach their next steps.
Visit us at either location!
Music and Movement exercise
- cognitive development
- fine motor skills
- gross motor skills
Story Time and More
- social emotional skills in groups
- literacy skills
- reading comprehension
Random Acts of Science
- scientific thinking
- moments of wow and
wonder to get excited about
Open Art Studios
- creative expression
- experimentation with new materials
- sensory development
- pre-math skills
- dramatic play
- social studies concepts
- Serving 20,000 children & 9,000 adults each year through 500 educational programs
- Only out-of-classroom STEM educational resource in Spartanburg County for the last 40 years
- 34 camps
- 4K to Rising 9th Grade
- Shark Week, Chemistry of Food, Preschool Fairytale Science, Robotics, Algebra & Geometry Readiness, STEAM art camps & more!
- Full & Half-Day Options!
HALTER is an affordable Therapeutic Horseback Riding program that has been serving children with disabilities from the Spartanburg area and students from the South Carolina School for the Deaf and Blind for over 30 years. We continue to help students learn riding skills, balance, coordination and confidence through our classes!
- VOLUNTEER OPPORTUNITIES:
- HALTER offers fun, hands-on volunteering opportunities for children 10-14
- Summer equine-focused educational programs run monthly throughout the summer for both adults and children
- The SC School for the Deaf and Blind offers American Sign Language classes are to dedicated HALTER volunteers
BARS Academy is a community driven creative arts service based in Spartanburg,
South Carolina that offers field tested curriculums and proven systems to combine creativity and entrepreneurship for inner city youth. The company focuses on three core aspects: education, creativity, entrepreneurship. With a goal of providing a safe environment for students, BARS Academy creates opportunities for youth to positively channel their emotions through outlets such as arts and music.
OUR MISSION IS TO EMPOWER YOUTH THROUGH GROUP PERFORMANCE NOT ONLY ENHANCING THE INDIVIDUALS’ PLAYABILITY BUT TO ENHANCE CRUCIAL LIFE AND COMMUNICATION SKILL. OUR 9-WEEK INTENSIVE MUSIC CAMP WILL TEACH OUR STUDENTS ENTRY LEVEL FUNDAMENTALS OF MUSIC SUCH AS THE ABILITY TO READ SHEET MUSIC, UNDERSTAND CONCEPTS OF MUSIC THEORY AND HOW TO PERFORM IN A GROUP SETTING. EACH WEEK OUR STUDENTS WILL ENGAGE WITH INSTRUCTORS TO STRENGTHEN THEIR MUSICAL TALENTS IN THEIR INDIVIDUAL DISCIPLINES AND TEACH THEM THE ART OF LIVE PERFORMANCE. THE WILL ALSO LEARN HOW TO TRANSLATE EMOTION THROUGH THE ART OF MUSIC AND DISCIPLINE THROUGH A REINFORCED PRACTICE REGIMEN WHERE PARENTS ARE ALSO GIVEN A CURRICULUM TO FOLLOW AND STRENGTHEN THE PARENT CHILD BOND BY POSITIVE ENCOURAGEMENT IN THE HOME. THE FINALE OF OUR 9-WEEK INTENSIVE WILL CULMINATE IN A ROCKCITAL WHERE OUR STUDENTS WILL PERFORM A SONG IN THEIR ASSIGNED GROUPS OR BANDS FOR THEIR FAMILY, FRIENDS AND THE COMMUNITY.
- 11,000 currently enrolled in Spartanburg County
- Removes greatest barrier to learning to read:
access to books
- Provides free books to children under age 5
- Mails one book/month directly to home
- Partnership with The Dollywood Foundation
Children, youth and adults
have access to quality education that
supports academic and social success.
The summer reading program encourages kids to keep their skills up by providing incentives for reading!
Everyone from babies through rising 6th graders are invited to participate.
Beginning on June 1st and ending July 31st, read books to earn cool prizes:
- Water bottles
- Read 10 books or 10 hours and receive a free book
- Read an additional 5 books or hours and receive a
prize (15 books total)
- Read an additional 5 books or hours and receive a
second prize (20 books total)
The primary goal of Generation Kid Strong is to create happy and healthy children.
• We meet that goal by introducing children to various forms of exercise and mediation.
• In addition to the children’s active participation, we also educate children about healthier eating habits and the nutritional facts about the foods they eat.
• The children also learn some basic anatomy & physiology.
• We introduce children to stress relief practices to help them cope with the developmental phases of their lives.
If we can successfully integrate into our children’s schools and begin to reduce the effect of sedentary lifestyles and poor nutrition, we believe the entire community will see long-term benefits.
Check back throughout the summer for some really fun and informative blog posts and guest blog posts about Fighting the Summer Slide! We would love to hear from you as well! Let us know how you are staying active this summer and learning all summer long. Use the contact form below!