27 Jan Almond Flour Cookies
My daughter got a unicorn baking set for Christmas and has been dying to make some cookies. I kept holding out until I had a good healthy cookie recipe that could be used with the cookie cutters and finally found one. I try to do mostly gluten free recipes so my husband can try them too. This recipe was really easy and worked well with the cookie cutters. I’ve tried others that fall apart too easy or are too sticky to ever roll out thin enough.
I liked these cookies without the icing and sprinkles but I don’t think the kids would have eaten them that way. But…at least they are a healthier option than regular sugar cookies. They are gluten free, refined sugar free (if you skip the icing), and could be dairy free if you go with coconut oil. So overall not too bad!
These cookies are also technically “paleo” before you add the icing so you can make them as healthy as you want.
- 2 cups almond flour
- 1/2 cup coconut flour
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- Pinch of salt
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup honey
- 2 TBS coconut oil or butter, softened
- Preheat oven to 350° and line baking sheet with parchment paper
- Mix dry ingredients in medium sized bowl
- Mix wet ingredients in large bowl and whisk until combined. Add dry ingredients to wet ingredients and knead dough (using hands to help if needed) until it forms a ball. Ours was pretty dry at first but after kneading it with our hands it was able to be formed into a ball
- Wrap ball of dough in plastic wrap and put in refrigerator for 30 minutes to chill.
- Once chilled, place dough on parchment paper sprinkled with coconut flour and roll out dough to 1/4″ thick using a rolling pin.
- Use cookie cutter to cut shapes and place cookies onto prepared pan
- Bake for 8-10 minutes until they begin to brown. Let cookies cool completely before icing.