17 Sep Sneaky Snack Sunday-Lemon Kale Muffins
We ended up using our kale from Deer Valley Farm for the sneaky Snack this week. Recipe from veggiedesserts.co.uk. If you wanted to skip the “from scratch” part, you could pick your favorite lemon poppyseed mix and add the kale to that. But these are really good.
2 cups packed kale (rinsed and leave pulled from stalk)
1/2 cup unsalted butter,softened
3/4 cup sugar
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 lemon, zest and juice
1 ½ cups plain flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
½ teaspoon salt
1. Preheat oven to 325. Line or grease a muffin tray.
2. Tear the kale leaves into bite-sized pieces and boil or steam for a few minutes until tender. Rinse in cold water, drain and puree.
3. In a large bowl, cream together the butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in the eggs, one at a time, and then beat in the kale, vanilla, zest and lemon juice.
4. Sift in the flour, baking powder and salt and stir to gently combine.
5. Fill the muffin cups ¾ full and bake for 15-20 minutes or until an inserted skewer comes out clean. Allow to cool for 10 minutes before removing.